Canon Compatible Toner Cartridge 131Y
TONER CARTRIDGE-YELLOW (COMPATIBLE YELLOW PRINT CARTRIDGE)
What is Canon 131Y?
Canon 131Y is a Compatible Toner Cartridge used in the laser printer or photocopier. 131Y is High Yield Toner Cartridge, Page Yield Up to 1400 Pages, is refillable, and can be replaced in various models of laser printers. Canon Compatible Toner 131Y is a superfine, microscopic powder-based print medium, mostly composed of polyester or granulated plastics, with some added ingredients (color pigments, metal oxides, and resin) to help it adhere to the paper and prevent the toner from clumping. It is used in laser printers and in photocopiers, considered as ink for them. Ink in liquid form is used in inkjet printers but on the other hand, 131Y is used in laser printers as powdered ink. Rather than the printer applying ink, the paper actually “grabs” the toner. It allows greater accuracy and control on printing. The smaller the grains, the better the image resolution and control. It is the main component of electro photographic printing and copying processes.
Ingredients in Compatible Toner 131Y:
Compatible Toner 131Y is composed of the following ingredients:
- Finely Ground Polyester
- Color Pigments
- Metal Oxides
What is Canon 131Y Cartridge?
Canon 131Y cartridge is a container or a case that holds the material, usually ink or a very fine powder called toner, used for printing purposes. It can be refilled when all of the ink or toner is used. Generally, it is a removable component that can be replaced by another one when needed. A cartridge may be of different types on the basis of its usage. It can be an ink cartridge or inkjet cartridge used in inkjet printers and toner cartridges used in laser printers or in photocopiers. The design of cartridges varies with the function, models, and manufacturer. But there are some components like toner hopper, seal, doctor blade, and developer which are present in cartridges commonly.
How does 131Y Cartridge work?
When an image or text is being printed on paper, the printer gathers toner from the hopper with the developer. The developer moves through the hopper gathering toner, usually composed of negatively charged magnetic beads and attached to a metal roller. It collects positively charged toner particles and brushes them past the drum assembly. The electrostatic image on the drum has a stronger negative charge than the beads on the developer, so the toner is pulled from the developer onto the drum. The drum moves on the paper. The paper has an even stronger negative charge than the drum and pulls the toner particles of the drum in the shape of the electrostatic image. In order to affix the toner, the paper needs to pass through the fuser rollers. The heat melts the plastic in the toner particles, causing the toner to be absorbed into the paper fibers. Although the melted plastic sticks to the paper, it does not adhere to the heated fuser rollers. This is possible because the rollers are coated with Teflon, the same material that helps food slide out of non-stick frying pans.
List of Compatible Printers for Canon 131Y:
Components of Compatible Toner 131Y cartridge:
These are some main components of Canon Compatible 131Y Toner Cartridge:
- Toner hopper: It is a small container that houses the toner
- Seal: A removable strip that prevents toner from spilling before installation
- Doctor blade: It helps to control the precise amount of toner that is distributed to the developer
- Developer: It transfers toner to the OPC drum
- Waste bin: It collects residual toner wiped from the OPC drum
- Wiper blade: Wipes away residual toner applied to the page
- Primary charge roller (PCR): Applies a uniform negative to the OPC drum prior to laser-writing. It also erases the laser image
- Organic photo-conductor (OPC) drum: It holds an electrostatic image and transfers toner onto the paper
- Drum shutter: It protects the drum from light when outside the machine and retracts the drum into the printer
Colors of 131Y Toner Cartridge:
Canon Compatible Toner 131Y comes in Yellow color.
Why do other Cartridges Come in different Colors?
We see many colors in our printed papers and books. All of these colors are only made from the four basic colors mentioned above. Whenever we need a color two or more of these colors are mixed together and form a new color according to our desire. Each toner color comes in a cartridge of the same color. So this is how cartridges came in different colors.
Can Canon 131Y be refilled?
Of course, Canon 131Y can be refilled. In truth, there are no real disadvantages to refilling your own cartridges. A refilled cartridge will deliver the exact same printed quality as the original for a fraction of the price.
Types of Cartridges:
- OEM Toner Cartridges
OEM stands for “Original Equipment Manufacturer” and is made by the company that manufactured your copier or printer. They are manufactured specifically for your device and are reliable as well as high-quality.
- New Compatible Cartridges
New compatible cartridges are made by a third-party manufacturer using all new compatible parts and can be used in a variety of devices. New compatible cartridges offer good output quality for a lower price than OEMs.
- Remanufactured Cartridges
Many manufacturers offer cartridge recycling programs. The empty cartridges are sent back to the plant where they are taken apart and inspected, and any worn parts are replaced before the cartridge is refilled, tested, and then sold.
- Refilled Cartridges
By far, refilled cartridges are the cheapest option and are also the lowest quality. Refilled cartridges are exactly what they sound like. They have used cartridges that have had their toner refilled. There is no inspection, and cartridge parts aren’t replaced.
How long does a Compatible Toner 131Y last?
Some toner cartridges can last up to two years in their sealed packaging. Even after two years, you may still get some use out of the cartridge, so it may be worth trying even after the fact. Your printer will display a “low cartridge” message when a specific cartridge needs to be replaced. Canon Compatible Toner 131Y is a high yield cartridge usually it has a capacity of 5000 A4 sized, single sided pages.
How do I refill Canon Toner 131Y?
Refilling an empty toner cartridge is very easy. The toner refill kit compatible with Canon 131Y cartridges comes complete with illustrated instructions to ease out the refill process.
- Pull out the cartridge from its slot in the printer and look for the large white fill plug usually located on one of its sides.
- Using a small flathead screwdriver, carefully pluck out the fill plug to expose the fill hole.
- Position the cartridge with the fill hole facing over a trashcan and empty out what is left of the old toner. Cleaning must be conducted thoroughly, otherwise old toner could cause print defects such as back grounding when mixed with fresh toner powder.
- Retrieve the toner refill kit. Open the toner bottle and screw on the funnel cap over the lid.
- Slowly transfer fresh toner powder flowing from the funnel cap and into the cartridge chamber through the fill hole.
- Once toner powder has been completely transferred, seal the fill hole with the plastic plug.
- Readjust the reset gear and shake the cartridge slightly before loading it back to the printer.
That’s it! The entire refill process for Canon 131Y cartridges have just been completed.
Process to replace the Compatible Toner 131Y:
- Make sure that the machine is powered up.
- Open the front cover of the machine.
- Remove both the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly.
- Push down the green lock lever and take the toner cartridge out of the drum unit.
- Unpack the new toner cartridge. Hold the cartridge level with both hands and gently shake it from side to side several times in order to distribute the toner evenly inside of the cartridge.
- Pull off the protective cover.
- Put the new toner cartridge firmly into the drum unit you hear and feel it lock into place. If installed successfully, the green lock lever will lift automatically.
- Clean the primary corona wire inside of the drum unit by gently sliding the green tab from right to left and left to right several times.
- Reinstall the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly back into the machine. Close the front cover.